Chess Queen Square Off
Using the movement rules of a queen in Chess, fill the NxN grid with N queens without any two queens interfering with each other in any of their paths
- Each queen follows the movement rules of Chess. Movement rules are about the only similarity this exercise has with real, actual Chess.
- All queens are opponents.
- Color of chess piece (black/white) does not matter. They are all opponents.
- A queen threatens another queen if they are in either of the other's paths (any movement path).
- No queen can threaten another queen.
- No queen can be placed in a square that crosses the path of another queen (this is redundant to the previous rule)
- To solve the puzzle, you must place as many queens in the grid as there are squares on a side. e.g. for a regular chess board with an 8x8 grid, you need 8 queens without violating the "threaten" rule.
More information and solutions for N=8 on Wikipedia